Ben started by removing all of the body mount bolts the weekend before. Thus, he began with my floor jack and some firewood, jacking the body up and shoving various sized logs between the body and frame.
Hmmm.. one tall body lift, huh?
We ran a 4x4 between the body and the frame. On one side of the Scout,
we had my good floor jack with a big log on it (not high enough y'know)
and the other had a chain wrapped around the 8' 4x4, and then attached to
my shop hoist. Slowly we raised the tub until we could lower the 4x4
onto a pair of ordinary saw horses.
We slid another 4x4 up front, and managed to get the whole thing onto saw horses. We then aired down the rear tires 'till they were flat, and I slowly dragged the frame with axles, motor, transmission out from underneath the body tub (I used my Scout to pull it, not my back!). And thus, we had a Scout II body tub hanging above the street! Yes, we did get a lot of double takes..
Here you see the tub with the frame/axles/drivetrain in front if it, and my Scout hooked up.
Ever wonder what the underside of a Scout II 'tub looked like?
We rolled the frame forward, pulled the motor/trans/xfer case as a unit, then pushed the frame rearward. Then we took this shot of everything:
After that, we unhooked the springs, and my brother and a friend helped
us lift the old frame up and away, and drop the new frame in place -
surprisingly easy with 4 men to do the job! We then pushed the frame
back under the drivetrain, lowered the drivetrain onto the frame, then
pushed the chassis back under the tub, and slowly lowered the body tub
right back onto the freshly installed body mount bushings. About 12
hours from start to finish on this Saturday. Easter Sunday morning Ben
few bolts into the mount holes, and picked up his pieces lying around:
and I then towed bar'd his Scout over to his garage for the final work. When I last saw the Scout, the front clip needed reinstalled, along with the steering column, and the wiring needed re-attached. Ben stripped the interior and was trying to decide what to do about the rust as well.